7.14.2010

Expanding Vocabulary (+Story!)

"Should I feel fine and dandy about being called 'dainty'?"
"How in the seven seas do I extrapolate something?"
"Does redress literally mean dress again?"

These are some questions you might ask yourself on a day-to-day basis. They're actually not, most likely. But they are questions I came up with today using some words I found out the meanings of today. Let me teach you them. Also, there's a short story at the end.

Ever since I've seen the video Let Me Borrow That Top by Liam Kyle Sullivan, I've liked using the word extrapolate. I've liked using it wrong, actually, but still. I've always imagined extrapolate meant explain in detail, or clear up, as based on the video there. I suppose using images, my idea of extrapolation looked something like this:

It all makes sense now!

In reality, to extrapolate is to "Extend the application of (a method or conclusion, esp. one based on statistics) to an unknown situation by assuming that existing trends will continue or similar methods will be applicable." I think a clear example should tell you all you need to know:

If I have 3 things tomorrow and I have 8 things the day after tomorrow, then by geometric sequences and extrapolation I'll have 21 1/3 things by the third day!

Now that that's out of the way and clearly understood, let's move on to the next word. This word would be redress. Redress looks like it's supposed to mean dress again. As in change dresses I guess. According to the ever-helpful dictionary.com, redress does in fact mean to dress again.

Success!

Redress can also, however, mean to correct, remedy, etc. That's really all I have to say about it.

My friend got called dainty today and she seemed appalled. I wondered why, so I asked her what dainty meant. She said it meant fragile and delicate. This fits the dictionary definition and so I have learned a new word. I don't know when the hell I'd use the word dainty to describe anything instead of other, less obscure words (e.g. fragile and delicate), but I'm sure glad I know it. Some vocabulary teacher somewhere is smiling and getting a halfie.

My last word is... I have no last word. It was really just those three. BUT. I did get asked for a few random words today, so I said colloquialism, pendulum, and hegemon. Two other cool words are somewhat and megalomaniac.

So is NIHILISM.

So as to that story I promised you, here we go: Yesterday I got handcuffed for the first time in my life. That lasted maybe 10 minutes, but it was still bloody exciting. What happened is apart from feeding a goose, my two friends and I were having a pretty ordinary, uneventful day. We decided to pull some crazy antics and climb unto a fire escape, then proceed to follow that fire escape to the top of a building. On top of this building, maybe 15 feet or so up was the platform of a billboard, with the billboard there as well. My friend and I decided to climb on this too, with the other fellow being too scared of heights.

The thing about billboards is they're meant to be seen from the street, whether by drivers or pedestrians or police on patrol. As my friend and I took turns flicking eachother off in front of a giant Cricket advertisement, little did we know that some police on patrol had in fact been informed of the benefits of Cricket, as well as that there were some hooligans on the roof of this building.

As I was getting down I look at my friend who had not climbed with us. He was just sitting down. I got halfway down some slanted rusty metal pole thing when I looked at my friend again. What I saw instead was him on his knees handcuffed and a police officer coming towards the two of us on the board. As I was unarmed and not yelling about being caught, the officer kindly helped me down then handcuffed me. They made us all sit together as they searched our pockets, then the two backpacks we had with us.

One officer climbed on the billboard and asked us where the tag was. We said we weren't tagging, which was the truth. They asked us why we were up there and we told them we needed something to do. They rhetorically asked "what the fuck" a few times. They asked us where we were from and we were all from adjacent or semi-adjacent (adjacent to adjacent) neighborhoods so they were like "oh, at least you're not some fuckers from... Michigan". I thought they were gonna say Detroit, so I was basically right.

After disbelieving me about my age (due to my awesome beard), they uncuffed us and followed us down the building. They told us to not be stupid and wrote down our names and addresses for their reports because they had to and wanted to increase their numbers or whatever (that's what they said). We decided that made our day infinitely better.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment